Before we plunge into the discussion of how to use a shaving cream, it is important that you understand the types of shaving creams that are available. Two types of shaving creams, namely brushless and lathering, come with their own particular set of characteristics.
Brushless shaving creams, as their name implies, do not need to be brushed. These creams do not form lather; all it takes is squeezing some out and applying onto the face.
Lathering-type of shaving creams requires a shaving brush to be able to create the rich lather for shaving. Regardless of the types of creams available, why are they used in the first place?
Why Do Men Use Shaving Creams?
Simply put, by using a shaving cream, men make the actual process of shaving smooth and easier by ensuring that the skin is well-lubricated to allow the razor to slide over the skin. This lubrication offers many advantages: a smoother shave, less chances of razor burn or any irritation.
How to Use Shaving Cream
You can make the best use of a shaving cream by following these easy steps:
1. Soak the Shaving Brush
When preparing for a shave, your shaving brush should be soaking in warm water in your sink to get the bristles nice and soft. Alternatively, you could also hold the brush under hot running water for some time.
2. Wet The Bristle Hair
The next step requires that you get your beard (or moustache) ready for shaving. Have your facial hair saturated with warm water to make them soft and ready.
3. Apply Shaving Cream onto Brush
Depending on the thickness of your hair, apply the appropriate quantity of shaving cream onto the brush. Around three-quarters of an inch of cream does the trick in most cases.
Begin whipping your brush into the shaving mug in order to get the shaving cream into a rich lather. How much you need to whip will depend on the type of shaving cream you use, but you should be able to tell when the lather is ready, nonetheless!
5. Apply to Face
Once you have a rich lather, use the brush to apply it to your face evenly. The whole purpose of applying the cream (now lather) is to help in getting a smooth shave, so make sure you apply it thoroughly.
Shaving Cream vs. Shaving Soap vs. Shaving Foam
Choosing the right shaving lube is not an easy task for any man. In some instances, you choose it. While in others, it chooses you.
So which one is the best? It would all depend on what type of skin you have.
Shaving foams are sometimes known to dry the skin more as compared to shaving cream or soap. However, foams are generally cheaper.
Creams, on the other hand, provide the richest lather of all, especially when applied using a shaving brush and generally cause no dryness in particular.
Soaps do not have as many scents or other chemicals added to it – which makes them suitable for people with sensitive skin.
So the choice is yours. Whatever you choose – shaving cream, foam or soap – Mister Shaver wishes you pleasant shaving.
TOP 5 Best Selling Shaving Creams
- Cream prepare your beard for shaving and moisturizes your face
- Rich woody blend of exotic sweet scented Sandalwood and Cedar, with Lavender and Rosemary for subtle floralcy and Jasmine and Rose, for a vivacious, enticing, confidently masculine bouquet
- Included bowl makes the lathering easy
- Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
- For every kind of beard and normal skin
- Oatmeal extract helps in moisturizing and soothing effect, it will not disturb the skin?s pH
- Green tea is a natural antioxidant rich in polyphenols and minerals
- No parabens; No silicones; No mineral oils; No artificial colors
- Made in Italy
- 150 ml
- New Formulation
- The ultimate rich lather shave cream.
- Supreme Cream’s rich, luxurious lather provides three protective hydrating layers for a close, irritation-free shave.
- Perfect for use with or without a shaving brush. Good for sensitive skin.
- Supreme Cream offers the superior benefits of Jack Black Beard Lube in a thick cream that leaves skin refreshed.
- English Classic
- Light fragrance for sensitive skin
- 5.3 Ounce Tub
- Jermyn Street Luxury Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin in a resealable bowl. Use with a brush, delicate fragrance.
Bonus! How to Lather a Shave Cream by Hand
What do you use? Shaving cream, foam or soap?