The Ultimate Guide to Parker Safety Razors
Getting a great shave is a vital part of looking your best. And when it comes to looking your best, you don’t want to rely on just any old razor. If you do, odds are you are going to wind up looking like you need another shave as soon as you walk away from the mirror. If you are like most men, that just isn’t going to do. So, what do you do about it? Well, Parker Safety Razors just might have the answer you are looking for.
Parker Safety Razors states on their website that, “We begin each day with the same goal of helping our customers enjoy the most comfortable shave possible.” And, judging by the company’s ability to stay at the top of the safety razor market, that is exactly what they are doing.
History of Parker Safety Razors
Parker Safety Razors has been in the business of manufacturing quality wet shaving gear since 1973. Their products are hand-crafted and each piece is quality tested before being shipped. As a family-owned business, they believe that their products are a reflection of who they are and their values.
Parker Safety Razors continues to design state-of-the-art wet shaving gear while and the same time holding true to the classic look and feel of a close, comfortable, and gentlemanly shave. And if the product doesn’t measure up to their standards, they refuse to put their family name on it.
Choosing the Best Parker Safety Razor
Genuine Brass Frames
Parker Safety Razors are all made with genuine brass frames. This ensures quality and durability. You don’t have to worry about breaking a handle if you drop it into the sink. And, since brass is relatively lightweight, you’ll have plenty of control. Parker has longer, and heavier models available for men who like a little more heft in their hand as well.
Parker Safety Razors come in two lengths. This, like most variations on the man’s ultimate grooming tool, comes down to personal preference. Some men demand a handle that has a little more reach than Parker’s standard 3 ¾ inch length. Their long handle models, such as the Parker 22R, are 4 inches long and may help some men shave difficult areas.
Butterfly Razor Head
A butterfly razor head is also known as a twist-to-open (TTO) or silo head. It is a one-piece design that has no removable parts. The head of the razor opens up with a twist of a knob to expose the blade so that it can easily be replaced. This easy-open design makes a double edge (DE) blade replacing a snap. The only drawback to this system is that there are a few small parts whose action can be affected by the collection of soaps and creams, as well as overtightening. So, as with any precision equipment, always handle with care.
Parker’s three-piece head is a throwback to the original safety razors. The entire head can be removed from the handle, and then the head comes apart into two places for blade replacement and thorough cleaning.
One of the great advantages of this style of razor design is that there are no moving parts. This means that your razor will most likely last for decades without any real maintenance. A disadvantage to choosing this style of razor is that you have to handle the razor itself more than you do other styles.
Getting the blade lined up with the top and bottom parts of the head can be a challenge for beginners, but experienced shavers can do it with little concentration.
How much your razor weighs is a big deal. It’s about both comfort, control, and beard thickness. If you have thick stubble, perhaps a heavier razor is right for you. Parker Safety Razors provides their customers with three choices so that everyone gets what they want.
- Standard: 3 oz.
- Heavyweight: 3.4 oz.
- Super Heavyweight: 4 oz.
Parker Razors Review
Parker 22R – Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
- Delivers a fabulous shave. Great for both new and experienced safety razor users!
- A Genuine Parker Safety Razor Product!
- Butterfly Door Opening Mechanism for Ease of Blade Replacement!
- Solid Brass Frame for Durability and Rust resistance!
- Comes with 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades!
One of Parker’s truly classic models, the 22r has been in production for over 30 years and remains one of their best sellers. This razor sports a butterfly head and longer handle than the standard issue from competitors. The polished gunmetal finish is enough to brighten anyone’s early morning ritual, and the notched handle makes for a sure, no-slip grip.
Parker 45R Heavyweight Double Edge Safety Razor
- Solid brass frame for durability and longevity
- Weighs 3.9 Ounces - Extra weight ensures asmooth comfortable shave
- "3 Piece" razor design - Insures close and comfortable shaves due to precise blade alignment
- 4 inch handle for extra maneuverability and great balance.
- A genuine Parker Safety Razor product! For over 40 years, Parker razors have been imitated, but never duplicated!
This three-piece safety razor from Parker with its enameled handle is surely a work of art. The 45R is a three-piece razor with some extra weight behind it. Perfect for the man who has thick whiskers or just needs to feel a little more weight in his hands. Great for both the beginner and experienced shavers.
Parker 65R Super Heavyweight Double Edge Safety Razor
- 100% All Natural Ingredients to nourish your beard
- Heavyweight design and 4 inch long textured handle
- Genuine brass frame provides durability and performance
- Screw off head provides incredibly accurate blade placement
- Provides a barbershop quality shave at home
Looking for that barbershop quality shave from your own hand? Then Parker’s 65R might be the right straight razor for you. This heavyweight bad boy comes in a three-piece style with a 4-inch-long textured handle to help you get up close and personal with your beard. With a black and gold trimmed handle, you’ll be shaving in style in no time.
Parker 90R – Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
- Long 4 inch handle for stability and ease of shaving
- Brass Frame - Nickel Plated
- Delivers a very smooth & comfortable shave - Enjoy a barbershop shave at home!
- Classic Twist-To-Open Butterfly Design with a Modern Flare
- A genuine Parker Safety Razor product! For over 40 years, Parker razors have been imitated but never duplicated
This offering from Parker Safety Razors is another one of those classic butterfly head dandies that harken back to the days of your great-grandfather. What makes this one a little special, however, it has the longer handle and has an elegant nickel-plated finish that will keep its shine long into the next decade. You can’t go wrong with this one, and once you use it, you’ll understand why men who shave with a safety razor prefer it.
Parker 96R – Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
- A Genuine Parker Safety Razor product -- For over 40 years, Parker's safety razors have been imitated but never duplicated!
- Twist-to-Open butterfly doors for easy blade replacement
- Textured handle for a sure grip
- Genuine Brass Frame - Solid Construction
- 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades included
The Parker 96R has the same extra length, the same butterfly head, and the same weight as 90R. The main difference, however, is the 90R’s black handle. It has a textured grip so that it always stays sure in your hand. You’ll get a modern look with the classic elements of the close shave. Not only does it look good, but it is also the sort of handle that works well for beginners.
Parker 99R – Long Handle SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
- Chrome plated brass frame for durability
- Twist-to-Open ("Butterfly Open") design for easy blade replacement
- 4 inch long textured handle for a sure grip - even with wet hands
- 3.4 ounces - heavyweight design
- A Genuine Parker Safety Razor - Parker' Razors are often imitated but never duplicated!
The Parker 99R is the sort of safety razor that has everything for the thick-bearded man that demands more control. The butterfly head makes for easy blade replacement. The 4-inch handle is nickel-plated and textured for a sure grip on every pass along stubborn whiskers. If you have a tough beard or large hands, the Parker 99R is probably the safety razor you’ve been looking for.
If you’ve been considering switching over to a safety razor, or if you are looking for a new brand, Parker Safety Razors has plenty to offer. They have built a strong reputation over the last four decades for making quality and affordable wet shaving gear. They continue to design and re-engineer their products to ensure that you get the closest, most comfortable shave that you can get outside a barbershop. And they offer plenty of options to suit your style and shaving needs.
Another great safety razor brand to consider is Merkur.
Last Updated on